Another year, another release of Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has been my choice of frustration ever since version 5 I think, it’s been that long ago I can’t remember.
Every year I’ve said myself that I’ll ditch windows and move to linux. Below is a rough timeline of every single fail I’ve had with linux.
- Ubuntu 5 - Wifi card plainly refused to work, my knowledge of linux was low so I gave up after a few hours.
- Ubuntu 6 - Wifi card refused to work, spent 2 days trying to get it to work. Graphics card was buggy.
- Ubuntu 7 - Wifi card worked with 7.04 upgrade to 7.10 broke it and refused to work again, spent another 2 days trying to sort it all out. I think this was around the time the first set of unofficial nvidia card drivers came out (envy?) which was amazing, a graphics card that actually worked.
- Ubuntu 8 - Wifi no longer works, I didn’t even try to bug fix, another year another fail.
- Ubuntu 9 - Wifi works!!!!!!! Can you believe it it actually works and out of the box too! Switched to ATI graphics card, never did figure out why it didn’t work properly.
- Ubuntu 10 - No longer need wifi, ATI cards works great apart from a few hiccups with dual screen which were resolved by some tinkering. Sound card doesn’t work. Not giving up yet though.
So there you go, it’s not that I haven’t tried and my knowledge in linux has vastly improved over the years. It appears I’m cursed.