I’ve been doing support for over 2 years now, I have such a love hate relationship with it.
I hate the generic support requests that go along the lines of “ZOMG IT’S ALL BROKEN” (actual ticket, well not really), but I love the complex issues, those that can actually engage me and force me to bring out my debugging skills.
Every support ticket falls into 2 camps, those that make you scream and those that make you think, I’d say 90% are those that make you scream. This is why I’m proposing the following manifesto:
- You WILL include Browser and OS information - “It doesn’t work” is not good enough and will just make things take longer, ultimately we have to bounce the ticket back for more info so do us a favour and start out with as much possible.
- URLS for the love of whatever deity you follow please include a url, your not our only client and chances are you host more than one site with us. Also chances are we aren’t 100% familiar with your site so a specific url will help us target the issue. Oh yeah and it helps us to grep logs as well.
- Time the issue was noted, again we have logs if you can narrow down the timeframe that would help both you and us!
- “Just one more thing” - NO NO NO start a new ticket, I’m going to forget about your second issue if it’s deep in a ticket 30 replies long.
- Understand the difference between a feature request and bug, it sounds easy but you’d be surprised how many times people get it wrong!
- Don’t phone to say you’ve put a ticket in, we know you have and while I have one hand on the phone talking to you I can’t work as fast.
- Don’t leave your ticket open, if we’ve fixed it then close it stating your happy with the response.
- Where possible include a screenshot, visual aids help a lot more than a wall of text, also follow below rule.
- The following formats are not acceptable for screenshots - ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, doc, docx, odt.
- Lastly, thanks us. A happy support monkey is a productive support monkey.
EDIT: Some more rules!
- My time estimates are final, if you can do it faster then fuck you do it yourself.
- You’re not our only client! Shocking I know but sometimes we work with other people.
So there it is, follow these simple rules and we won’t hunt you down and knife you.